Financial matters are one of the most concerns of every tourist who is planning to travel to Iran. One simple question most of our clients ask us is:
Can I use a credit card in Iran?
Unfortunately, the answer is no, you cannot use international credit cards in Iran. You may have heard that the Iranian banking service is excluded from the international banking system.
As a result, international credit cards such as Master Cards or Visa Cards are useless in Iran and tourists to have no other choice rather than carrying cash with them all around the country.
However, the National Bank of Iran has taken a helpful step to resolve this problem by providing a Tourist Card to help tourists enjoy a safer and easier journey in Iran.
Come along with this post to know all about the Iran prepaid debit card for tourists just a few minutes.
What is Iran Tourist Card?
To ensure the safety and security of tourists traveling to Iran, the National Bank of Iran has issued a Tourist Debit Card for the maximum amount of 5000 US$.
Currently branches of Saman Bank and Bank Melli Iran issue these cards.
According to the information on Saman Bank’s website, the card could be issued for the tourists without opening an account with a sum up to 5 million Rials. However, with opening an account, the tourists would be able to change the desired sum of money and have it in the account in Rials.
Bank Melli Iran also states that according to the permit of Central Bank of Iran, the charging limit for Tourist Card is $5,000 and the expiry date will be a year after card issuance.
Customers can receive these prepaid cards due to submitting their passport and visa.
How to use Iran Tourist Debit Card?
Iran tourist card is issued under a certain expiry date and can be used to receive cash in Rials everywhere.
The cardholder can withdraw money from ATMs of all Iranian banks, purchase tickets at museums, or go shopping, and even use it for internet shopping services.
Remember to obtain the first password, a second password, and a user account and passcode to check your bank statement online while getting a tourist card.
The first password is for withdrawing cash from ATMs and shopping by POS devices.
The second password is for internet shopping services such as online recharge of cell phones and internet services.
You can change both passwords at the ATM of the bank that you got your tourist card.
What is the currency which Iran Debit Cards can be charged?
Iran debit cards can be recharged by different currencies such as USD, EURO and AED.
Note that, at the end of your trip, you can simply receive the remaining amount in cash in Rials at the bank, or purchase any other currency you would like at exchange offices.
What are the features of Iran Tourist Debit Cards?
Please note that there is no Iran tourist credit card in the country and all you can find are debit cards.
Iran credit card is actually a new service with lots of limitations for Iranian citizens only and not for tourists.
Here are the features of Iran tourist Debit Cards for tourists:
- They can be used on every POS terminal in Iran.
- You can withdraw cash up to 2 million Rials from all ATMs on a daily basis.
- Online shopping services are available through these cards.
- Changing your first and second password is possible from the ATMs of the banks that you got your card.
- It is possible to exchange the remaining amount of debit card into international currencies at exchange offices.
- Balance inquiry is possible through internet, ATMs and POS terminals.
- It is not possible to transfer money to other cards from a Tourist Card.
How to Get a Prepaid Iranian Debit Card for travelers?
There are different ways to get a tourist debit card in Iran.
- First of all, you can get one at Imam Khomeini International Airport in Tehran on your arrival.
- Secondly, you can go to the branches of Saman Bank and Bank Melli Iran and ask for one.
- Lastly, you can always ask our team to prepare one for you.
Simply just contact us prior to your travel to Iran or while your arrival in Tehran and we do all the arrangements for you as soon as possible.
Please feel free to ask for more information and updates on this matter at your convenient time through email or telephone.
Key Points about these Debit cards
- In case of losing your card, report it to the nearest branch as soon as possible.
- It may be difficult to receive a new one with the remaining amount in your card since there is no real bank account linked to your card.
- Always keep your personal information private and secret.
Recommended Reads: Iran Travel Tips: All You Need to Know, before traveling to Iran
These solutions and cards suggested in this article exist in Iran and we recommend you to apply by verified companies. We take no charges about them and this article has been published just FYI.